Monday, November 12, 2012

Today I am grateful for good books

Oh, how I love a good book.  I Just read The Mansion by Henry Van Dyke to get me in the Christmasy spirit, and it was such a good reminder for me. What am I focusing my attentions on? Where am I building my mansion? Loved it!
and then I ran across this quote on the internet and it seemed to fit the question of the day for me. Am I focusing my attentions in the right place or am I so caught up in things of the world that I can't take with me? All I know is that I try hard everyday to be my best me, but every reminder is welcomed because I need a lot of help in that department. I am so grateful for that help given in unexpected places like books and the internet.
 “What we have, what we wish we had – ambitions fulfilled, ambitions disappointed … investments won, investments lost … elections won, elections lost – these things may occupy our attention, but they do not define us. And each of them is subject to the vagaries and serendipities of life. Our relationship with our Maker, however, depends on none of this. It is entirely in our control, for He is always at the door, and knocks for us. Our worldly successes cannot be guaranteed, but our ability to achieve spiritual success is entirely up to us, thanks to the grace of God. The best advice I know is to give those worldly things your best but never your all, reserving the ultimate hope for the only one who can grant it.” Mitt Romney

0 comments: